SOS Brigade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SOS Brigade

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Sub to Sub proposal
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 6:12 pm by MrDanGaming

» My youtube channel
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 7:55 pm by MrDanGaming

» What Pokemon Type Duo do you think is best
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 pm by NintendJoshz

» I need a little help...
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 9:21 am by Philip2702

» One Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 6:29 am by Philip2702

» Whats Your Favorite Pokemon Game
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 4:44 pm by Philip2702

» What is your favorite Gym Leader of all time?
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 9:00 pm by NintendJoshz

» MO or Poke Cinema?
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 am by crystalisk

» can anyone find me a Sonic Adventure 2 rom
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 12:49 pm by Shawnroxxx99

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tsutanai

Tsutanai

Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) Empty
PostSubject: Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)   Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 1:02 pm

Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP]

Alright I'm making a deck building guide, and I would be grateful if I had some help. I sorta just typed up stuff to say to get things started.

Starting Build
To start building a deck, first you gotta think of a theme. There are many themes to choose from. You could have burn decks or Exodia stall decks, or even feature a card series such as Lightsworn or Arcana Force. After you have that in mind, next is to find information. You could look at discussions on forums, example decks (NO COPYING >:C), or a list of cards that would go well with your deck.

The recommended ratio of Monsters to magic/traps would be 50-50, but this is very flexible. It could vary depending on your type of deck. 40 cards in one deck is highly recommended because a lower amount of cards means a higher chance of drawing the card you need. You don't want to draw a high level monster in a time of need of something else. Luck is a portion of this game, so bad starting hands can happen, as well as bad draws.

There are ways to decrease the chance of this happening. Some people may have 'useless cards' to tribute for cards like Magic Jammer or Divine Wrath. This is a bad idea, always include your deck with cards you benefit from. It really doesn't matter as to what you discard in the middle of a duel.

Now you shouldn't just use any ol' card. But you probably don't want to bother looking through a couple thousand cards to look for a good one to add to your deck. What you should do is look at the staple list, where most of the cards are narrowed down to ones that will probably suit your needs.
(I'll work on more of this later, anything else want's to add something, PM me.)

Staples
Staples are good cards that can be used in any deck and in almost any situation. Like Breaker for example, it is a monster with solid attack and can destroy any magic or trap you want immediately, very convenient!
So if you're a Yugioh n00b or haven't played in a while, you should consult these lists to see some cards that would help you or strengthen your deck.

Monster

Magic

Trap

(Pleeze tell me if there are any more staples (new and old) that I should include in these lists. I will add them if they are good ones to suit multiple kinds of decks.)

Last edited by Tsutanai on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:06 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Back to top Go down
Tsutanai

Tsutanai

PostSubject: Re: Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)   Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Deck Strategies/Themes
Here's a list of some of the many deck themes and cards that would go along with it.(this is where I could use some help, if any of you guys out there that specialize in a certain deck theme, PM me and I'll credit you and stuff)

Offensive
These are a common kind of deck that are about beating you down without giving you a chance to recover.
-recommended cards:
Mage Power
Shrink
Giant Trunade
[Insert Monarch here]

Exodia
The goal is to draw the 5 Peaces of Exodia. These decks usually are offensive and contain a lot of 'draw card' cards.
-recommended cards:
Sangan
Jar of Greed
card trader
Upstart Goblin
Emissary of the Afterlife

Burn
These decks aren't so offensive, but some might be. The main purpose is to destroy the opponent's life points. Usually features Fire monsters and stalling cards
-recommended cards:
Solar Flare Dragon
Meteor Of destruction

Deck-Out
Some card's force your opponent to draw cards, or even discard them from the deck. If you have a deck full of thse, you can make your opponent deck out! These kinds of decks are rare.
-Recommended cards:
Chainsw Insect
Destiny Hero - Defender
Morphing Jar

Dark
There are powerful 'dark' versions of monsters that require dark monsters in the grave to summon. Certain dark monsters specialize in getting dark monsters in the graveyard and quickly!
-Recommended cards:
Armageddon Knight
Plageuspreader Zombie
Darklord Zerato
Dark Grepher
Veil Of darkness

Cyberdark
The cyberdark series mainly uses dragons as equip cards in the graveyard. But it's not only what the Cyberdark cards themselves are good, it's the cards that go along with them, Like the Crush card Virus.
-Recommended cards:
Future Fusion
Hunter Dragon
Masked Dragon
Crush Card Virus
Limiter Removal

(heh this is all I got at the moment. It's a start! :D I hope you guys can PM me about what you specialize in like Warrior or plant decks. Or even card series like the Blackwings. Just Tell me the just of what the deck does and a few recommended cards.)

Last edited by Tsutanai on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:18 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Back to top Go down
Tsutanai

Tsutanai

PostSubject: Re: Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)   Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Card Combos
Here are examples of combos with some cards to make them work better than they ever were separately.

Masked Dragon x3 + Armed Dragon lv3 + Armed Dragon LV5

-A very easy way to summon armed dragon lv5. You let your opponent attack as many masked dragons as they want, and on the last possible attack, bring out armed dragon lv3. Then when your opponent ends their turn, you get armed dragon lv5!

Pyramid Turtle + Ryu-kokki/Vampire Lord
-Pyramids turtle can easily bring out Ryu-kokki or vampire lord, who have defense lower than 2000 but high attack.

Armageddon Knight + Plaguespreader Zombie
-Summon Armageddon Knight to get Plaguespreader in the grave, then special summon it and BAM! Easy lv6 Synchro summon!

Future Vision + Earthbound Immortal Aslla Piscu/Beast King Barbatos/Fortune Lady Lighty
-By using Future Vision's effect on Aslla Piscu, you can destroy all face-up monsters on your opponent's field and deal 800 damage for each one, and all it costs is to remove your Aslla Piscu from play for one turn. Furthermore, when you summon Fortune Lady Lighty, Future Vision will let you summon another Fortune Lady such as Darky at the cost of removing it from play for a turn. And last of all is Beast King Barbatos. It's a Level 8 Monster that you can Normal Summon without Tribute-except it's attack gets cut. But with Future Vision, after sending it away for a turn, you get a beast with 3000 Attack Points without having to sacrifice anything.

One for One + Cyber Valley + Fortune Lady Lighty
-One for One allows you to get a Level One monster on the field. Cyber Valley and Lighty are very good Level Ones. If you can get them on the field at the same time, Cyber Valley's effect will let you remove from play itself and Lighty to draw 2 cards AND summon another Fortune Lady from your deck.

Future Vision + Giant Trunade

-After this removes an opponent's monster from play, you can Giant Trunade it on your turn. Not only will it protect your monster when you Normal Summon it, but the monster your opponent removed will NOT come back (well, fine, I'm not very sure. Just depends on the rulings for Future Vision)

(I could use some more combos, PM me if you know any.)

Last edited by Tsutanai on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:07 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Back to top Go down
Tsutanai

Tsutanai

PostSubject: Re: Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)   Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Credits/Special Thanks
-Yugioh Virtual Duel, for getting me addicted to yugioh again D:<
- http://www.bbtoystore.com/ <- the random place where I got the card images from that aren't SUPER HUGE!
-Jisatsu, for helping with a few cards for the staple list.
-Pokefan362, for some more card combos and help with the opening paragraphs.

Last edited by Tsutanai on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Back to top Go down
Pokefan362

Pokefan362

PostSubject: Re: Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)   Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Tsutanai wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP]

Alright I'm making a deck building guide, and I would be grateful if I had some help.

First of all, you must have an even ratio of monster to magic/trap. about 50-50. 40 cards in one deck is highly recommended because lower amount of cards means a higher chance of drawing the card you need. Also, you should have the high level monster to low level monster ratio to be about 3-10. You don't want to draw a high level monster in a time of need of something else. Luck is a portion of this game, so bad starting hands can happen, as well as bad draws.

I COMPLETELY disagree with this. The ratio of monsters to s/t's depends on the deck build. And even then, that ratio is quite flexible. Same for the Low Level-High Level Monster ratio. It all depends on the type of deck you run and the ease of summoning high-level monsters. Take a Monarch Control Deck for example, those have more high-levels monsters than, say, a Cloudian deck would. Furthermore, while 40 cards is a good general build, you don't have to be so strict about it. So long as you do not have too many cards and make sure your deck doesn't have large chances of getting dead draws.

There are ways to decrease the chance of this happening. First of all, get your deck as close as possible to the 50-50 ratio and 40 cards. Next, you might want to consider that if you have a deck that's only offensive, you could get beaten pretty easily. This is usually because someone either has cards to counter yours, or is beating you down and not giving you a chance to fight back. This is where you need stalling cards, like swords of revealing light, or marshmallon. These cards give you a chance to draw mroe cards and to help you fight back.

I disagree again. There are cards to counter every strategy in existence. Beatdown decks are most definitely viable. I mean, just look at the Lightsworn and Blackwings. Not much stalling involved in those deck types now are there?

Now you shouldn't just use any ol' card. But you probably don't want to bother looking through a couple thousand cards to look for a good one to add to your deck. What you should do is look at the staple list, where most of the cards are narrowed down to ones that will probably suit your needs.
(I'll work on more of this later, anything else want's to add soemthing, PM me.)

Well, true, staples are versatile cards that fit into most decks. Torrential Tribute and Compulsory Evacuation Device is just lovely. But what I do when I start building a deck is to find some information, strategy discussion, example decks, and a list of support cards for the type of deck I am trying to make. Trust me, it's a good strategy.

Staples
Staples are good cards that can be used in any deck and in almost any situation. Like Breaker for example, it is a monster with solid attack and can destroy any magic or trap you want immediately, very convenient!
So if you're a Yugioh n00b or haven't played in a while, you should consult these lists to see some cards that would help you or strengthen your deck.

Erm...seeing as how I VERY rarely see it used outside of Spell Counter-esque decks I do not consider Breaker a staple. I mean, there are usually better options. But whatever.

Monster

Magic

Trap (Coming Soon)
Back to top Go down
Pokefan362

Pokefan362

PostSubject: Re: Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)   Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 8:21 pm

And right now I'll throw in some comboes for the heck of it.

Future Vision+Earthbound Immortal Aslla Piscu/Beast King Barbatos/Fortune Lady Lighty

OK, so this was done in the anime, but I swear I came up with these comboes before I saw it! Future Vision is the Field Spell for the Fortune Ladies. By using Future Vision's effect on Aslla Piscu, you can destroy all face-up monsters on your opponent's field and deal 800 damage for each one, and all it costs is to remove your Aslla Piscu from play for one turn. How broken is that! Furthermore, when you summon Fortune Lady Lighty, Future Vision will let you summon another Fortune Lady such as Darky at the cost of removing it from play for a turn. And last of all is Beast King Barbatos. It's a Level 8 Monster that you can Normal Summon without Tribute-except it's attack gets cut. But with Future Vision, after sending it away for a turn, you get a beast with 3000 Attack Points without having to sacrifice anything.

One for One+Cyber Valley+Fortune Lady Lighty

One for One allows you to get a Level One monster on the field. And fortunately, both Cyber Valley and Lighty are very good Level Ones. If you can get them on the field at the same time, Cyber Valley's effect will let you remove from play itself and Lighty to draw 2 cards AND summon another Fortune Lady from your deck. It's really not that hard to do if you have the right cards.

Future Vision+Giant Trunade

After this removes an opponent's monster from play, you can Giant Trunade it on your turn. Not only will it protect your monster when you Normal Summon it, but the monster your opponent removed will NOT come back (well, fine, I'm not very sure. Just depends on the rulings for Future Vision)

I have a lot more but these are my personal favorites. And besides, these are all in one theme. Isn't that great?
Back to top Go down
Tsutanai

Tsutanai

PostSubject: Re: Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)   Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 8:36 pm

I would of preferred you would Pm me but ok, I'll consider what you said.

Ummmm I tried to narrow down your explanations so they aren't Walls of Text.

...hmmm Think maybe I should put card images to make the Card Combo section a bit prettier?

Last edited by Tsutanai on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stuff)
Back to top Go down
Pokefan362

Pokefan362

PostSubject: Re: Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)   Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 10:44 am

Here's another thing to note: Do NOT base your entire strategy around a single combo (bar Exodia the Forbidden One). They hardly ever work, and I speak from experience. Make sure that, when you build it, every monster in your deck is a possible win condition, or can otherwise start certain flexible combos (Lighty is a very good example). You also shouldn't base your deck around a certain card...naturally, with the possible exception of a field spell (since you have a bunch of searchers/Terraforming for those). Opening up certain devestating combos in your deck is good, but make sure the rest of the deck can win on their own in case you cannot perform said combo. Of course, it will depend on your luck of the draw and skill in playing your deck, but since I learned this lesson I have been winning a lot more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)   Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yu-Gi-Oh Deck Building Guide! [WIP] (help wanted)
Page 1 of 1