SOS Brigade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SOS Brigade

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Sub to Sub proposal
Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 6:12 pm by MrDanGaming

» My youtube channel
Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 7:55 pm by MrDanGaming

» What Pokemon Type Duo do you think is best
Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 pm by NintendJoshz

» I need a little help...
Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 9:21 am by Philip2702

» One Pokemon
Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 6:29 am by Philip2702

» Whats Your Favorite Pokemon Game
Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 4:44 pm by Philip2702

» What is your favorite Gym Leader of all time?
Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 9:00 pm by NintendJoshz

» MO or Poke Cinema?
Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 am by crystalisk

» can anyone find me a Sonic Adventure 2 rom
Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 12:49 pm by Shawnroxxx99

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Most misused English words

Go down 
+16
MunchingOrange
IceWave44
Chillax
Iron Raiden
Roboto
brawler1235
Brisingr
ChocolateRain
Kipper
Findows⁡
frb4
StebenL
Khemria
ExDarkrai
Lukyhawk
SpiritofSteel
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SpiritofSteel

SpiritofSteel

Characters
CLASS: CHUKLES
HP:
Most misused English words Left_bar_bleue69/69Most misused English words Empty_bar_bleue  (69/69)
Tribe: Steelie

Most misused English words Empty
PostSubject: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:10 pm

This isn't my homework or anything but I do have a questions regarding a few grammar problems, who knows it might get you a better grade on your next report?

Anyways here's my issue: I know how to use the most commonly misused words such as "its" and "it's" and "your" and "you're" but my biggest problem lies in "of" and "have".

Example:

I should have done my homework.

I should of done my homework.

Which one of the above is right? And in what condition should those two words be used?
Back to top Go down
Lukyhawk

Lukyhawk

Characters
CLASS: Fatass
HP:
Most misused English words Left_bar_bleue69/69Most misused English words Empty_bar_bleue  (69/69)

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:15 pm

"I should have done my work" is the correct usage. I should "of" done my homework is never used when speaking corectly. It's just that when people speak they don't speak like how they write. Nobody says "I should have" They always say "I should've" Which is the way to say should have, but it sounds like should of.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/ch4rg3rs4lyf
SpiritofSteel

SpiritofSteel

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:20 pm

So the phrase "should of" should NEVER exist?
Back to top Go down
Lukyhawk

Lukyhawk

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:22 pm

not that I know of, no. I mean, there might be some obscure sentence that some Ph.D proffesor could tell you but I'm like 99.9% sure that it doesn't exist.
Back to top Go down
ExDarkrai

ExDarkrai

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Whoa.

I thought "Should of" WAS the grammatically correct term. I'm gonna have to study up my English grammar a little more. :scratch:
Back to top Go down
Lukyhawk

Lukyhawk

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 4:23 pm

yeah, should've is a contraction. It stands for should have. However when you say it it sounds like you're saying should of.
Back to top Go down
Khemria

Khemria

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Actually, it's grammatically incorrect to contract "have". Should've is not a correct contraction. That's just how people speak.
Back to top Go down
Lukyhawk

Lukyhawk

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 6:05 pm

are you sure? Cause I've heard should've used many times by my own english teachers :shock:
Back to top Go down
Lukyhawk

Lukyhawk

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 6:06 pm

yeah I just looked it up, should've is definitely a proper contraction.
Back to top Go down
StebenL

StebenL

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 6:26 pm

When I type+narrate I type/talk with contractions, usually like talking to a friend or a teacher I always seems to say things out, like, "You are", "I will", "Can not" and etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevenlowry
Khemria

Khemria

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 6:29 pm

If you're going to contract "have", " 've" would be the way to do it, but it's not proper English to contract "have" in the first place. People just mush the word in when speaking.
Back to top Go down
SpiritofSteel

SpiritofSteel

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Let me put this in idiot term.

Should have = good.

Should of = bad

???
Back to top Go down
Lukyhawk

Lukyhawk

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:38 am

SpiritofSteel wrote:
Let me put this in idiot term.

Should have = good.

Should of = bad

???

exactly lol
Back to top Go down
frb4

frb4

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Then there is the spelling of "color"

I am pretty sure in the U.K, it is spelled "Colour" but in America, its spelled "Color"

Which one would be right?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/frb4
ExDarkrai

ExDarkrai

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Well frb4 they're BOTH right, in there respected countries.

I think of american and english, like two different accents, if you get what i mean.
Like in one part of England someone will say a word (Like stairs for example) in one way and in another part of England they'll say it a different way just like U.K spell "center" like "centre" and America spell "centre" like "center"

Soon though we'll just start copying the Americans again and spell "colour" like "color"
I mean did you know the PROPER spelling for Jail in England is Gaol?
Back to top Go down
frb4

frb4

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 8:27 pm

ExDarkrai wrote:

I think of american and english, like two different accents, if you get what i mean.
Like in one part of England someone will say a word (Like stairs for example) in one way and in another part of England they'll say it a different way just like U.K spell "center" like "centre" and America spell "centre" like "center"

Soon though we'll just start copying the Americans again and spell "colour" like "color"

What? Are you serious?!?
Back to top Go down
Findows⁡

Findows⁡

Characters
CLASS: Good Guy
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 10:41 pm

Lol that's pretty cool, but yea I think you the English shouldn't copy us, bad things might happen.
Back to top Go down
https://sosbrigade.forummotion.com
ExDarkrai

ExDarkrai

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 6:10 am

frb4 wrote:
ExDarkrai wrote:

What? Are you serious?!?

Deadly serious, not even joking.

It was quite a while ago when it was spelt like that thought, but still. I found it in a book I was reading and I was like "What the hell is that?" and my english teacher said it was the english spelling of jail. And it made sense in my book so I believed him.
Back to top Go down
frb4

frb4

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 10:41 am

ExDarkrai wrote:
frb4 wrote:
ExDarkrai wrote:

What? Are you serious?!?

Deadly serious, not even joking.

It was quite a while ago when it was spelt like that thought, but still. I found it in a book I was reading and I was like "What the hell is that?" and my english teacher said it was the english spelling of jail. And it made sense in my book so I believed him.

That's so weird lol
Back to top Go down
Kipper

Kipper

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 2:19 pm

Hey! Don't be forgetting Canada, eh?

We spell it like colour and favourite and stuff. I think the usage is going down though, thanks to those accursed spell checkers claiming "colour" isn't a word. D:<
Back to top Go down
StebenL

StebenL

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Most spell checkers only know the American version :\
Back to top Go down
ExDarkrai

ExDarkrai

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 3:34 pm

In england all spell checkers don't know "Color"
Back to top Go down
ChocolateRain

ChocolateRain

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 9:43 pm

OMG REALLY! well, COLOUR is the way the english spell it. So I suppose that they don't use the color spelling anymore :/
Back to top Go down
Brisingr

Brisingr

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 11:26 am

Your language is hard enough to get... and then with like rap and all that crap (like "gonna" or whatever) it just gets super hard to non native speakers like me. Even if my own language is also impossible
Back to top Go down
brawler1235

brawler1235

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 8:32 am

It's also pretty weird when people use double negatives without even realizing it.

Example: " Yo man, WTF are you doin' here!?!? You ain't got none buisiness in these parts!"
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000076030980&ref=p
StebenL

StebenL

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 8:27 am

brawler1235 wrote:
It's also pretty weird when people use double negatives without even realizing it.

Example: " Yo man, WTF are you doin' here!?!? You ain't got none buisiness in these parts!"

I constantly correct people for that, especially people that hate me, it makes them even more mad.
Back to top Go down
Roboto

Roboto

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:09 am

I blame rap music. That shit it slowing sinking into the minds of those hot blonde chicks.
Back to top Go down
StebenL

StebenL

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:11 am

I used to listen to rap, until I realized I was white.
Back to top Go down
Iron Raiden

Iron Raiden

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 9:45 am

StebenL wrote:

:lol!:
I've never liked rap. It makes me angry.
Back to top Go down
http://smouch.net/lol/
Chillax

Chillax

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 7:22 pm

I hate it when people use "then" instead of "than". For example,

I am better then you :(

I am better than you :)
Back to top Go down
IceWave44

IceWave44

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 9:17 pm

frb4 wrote:
Then there is the spelling of "color"

I am pretty sure in the U.K, it is spelled "Colour" but in America, its spelled "Color"

Which one would be right?
The UK spelling used to confuse me when I was young
Back to top Go down
brawler1235

brawler1235

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Also, UK pronunciations are different too. They have emphasis on the CH part of schedule and they say tuesday like CHuseday. They also say patAto with emphasis on the second a and same thing with tomato.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000076030980&ref=p
IceWave44

IceWave44

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 7:41 am

brawler1235 wrote:
Also, UK pronunciations are different too. They have emphasis on the CH part of schedule and they say tuesday like CHuseday. They also say patAto with emphasis on the second a and same thing with tomato.
Also something that used to confuse me
Back to top Go down
StebenL

StebenL

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 8:53 am

Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:

I'm being serious >_>.
I went through a year without knowing I was white.
Back to top Go down
Iron Raiden

Iron Raiden

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:22 am

StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:

I'm being serious >_>.
One question. How?
OK, two questions. Do you not own a mirror?

brawler1235 wrote:
Yeah, we do pronounce things differently. But we were watching this YouTube video in science today narrated by an American, and whenever he said algae, he said the 'g' as more of a 'j'. Is that the common pronunciation over there? Cause here it's algae.
Back to top Go down
StebenL

StebenL

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:24 am

Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:

I'm being serious >_>.
One question. How?

I do own a mirror, and it's because of the music I was listening to. I thought I was such a gangster back in the 7th grade, as soon as 8th hit I started listening to rock.
Before rap I listened to no music what-so-ever.
Back to top Go down
Iron Raiden

Iron Raiden

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:26 am

StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:

I'm being serious >_>.
One question. How?

I do own a mirror, and it's because of the music I was listening to. I thought I was such a gangster back in the 7th grade, as soon as 8th hit I started listening to rock.
That's both funny, and a little strange. I've never been so influenced by music that I've tried to be something else. At least I don't think I have.
Back to top Go down
StebenL

StebenL

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:27 am

Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:

I'm being serious >_>.
One question. How?

That's both funny, and a little strange. I've never been so influenced by music that I've tried to be something else. At least I don't think I have.

It was the influence of my sister as well :\
Back to top Go down
Iron Raiden

Iron Raiden

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:29 am

StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:

I'm being serious >_>.
One question. How?

Was she a gangster-ess?
Sisters... I wish I didn't have any >_>
Back to top Go down
StebenL

StebenL

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:34 am

Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:
Iron Raiden wrote:
StebenL wrote:

I'm being serious >_>.
One question. How?

Was she a gangster-ess?
Sisters... I wish I didn't have any >_>

I have one sister, she got me into rap, then one day she was listening to rock, and after that I never listened to rap again
Back to top Go down
MunchingOrange

MunchingOrange

Characters
CLASS: Wood Elf
HP:
Most misused English words Left_bar_bleue9001/9001Most misused English words Empty_bar_bleue  (9001/9001)

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 12:30 pm

Tha Inglish Langouge es dificolt tu wrait...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/MunchingOrange
StebenL

StebenL

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 12:36 pm

MunchingOrange wrote:

The English language is difficult to...
Back to top Go down
Lukyhawk

Lukyhawk

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 12:31 am

StebenL wrote:
MunchingOrange wrote:

The English language is difficult to...

Tambien el idioma de ingles es dificil escribir....
Back to top Go down
Lukyhawk

Lukyhawk

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 12:32 am

MunchingOrange wrote:

just for the record orange, do you speak any spanish? I mean, you live in Puerto Rico and all. I know that's off topic but whatever.
Back to top Go down
Kayden_Sora

Kayden_Sora

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 9:10 am

The Americans copied England. x.x English came from England, hence the name. T^T Americans are just a load of overweight, burger eating idiots. >.<
Back to top Go down
Iron Raiden

Iron Raiden

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 7:10 pm

ch4rg3rs4lyf wrote:
MunchingOrange wrote:

just for the record orange, do you speak any spanish? I mean, you live in Puerto Rico and all. I know that's off topic but whatever.
I know i'm not MunchingOrange, but I speak quite a bit, I'm doing it for GCSE. :D

Kayden_Sora, I'm not American, but a lot of people here are so watch what you say - that kind of thing won't help you make friends >_>
Back to top Go down
Kayden_Sora

Kayden_Sora

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Oh what a cruel world this is. I'm not here to make friends anyway. People keep saying that WE copied Americans..gr. >.<
Back to top Go down
Lukyhawk

Lukyhawk

Characters
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Kayden_Sora wrote:
Oh what a cruel world this is. I'm not here to make friends anyway. People keep saying that WE copied Americans..gr. >.<

Nobody over here says that lol. People over here think ok of you guys. In truth, Europeans should be ashamed for how you stereotype us. We never have any hatred back for you guys, we don't hold grudges. After the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, we didn't speak for years but then in WW2 we came and helped you out. The same goes for every country, we've never been against them unless they've done something directly to us. So quite frankly you have no right to go and stereotype my nation like that. It's very disrespectful. Not to mention our economy feeds half the world and our army would be there to defend you against other European nations. Ok I think I'm done lol. But seriously, cut the bs about cheeseburgers, were not ALL fat lol.
Back to top Go down
SuperNova

SuperNova

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 2:22 pm

*Cough* Vietnam*cough*

Anyway, English is hard to learn, but because of Quebec, we have to learn FRENCH! I say: Make them learn English, or ship them all back to france. Good riddance if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
GGFan

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 6:15 pm

As somebody who goes to GameFAQs -- the site with the most blithering idiots besides YouTube -- I've never seen "should of" used. However, I've been told that mixing up you're and your is no big deal because it's a common grammatical mistake. Don't worry though -- I was told this on GameFAQs by an idiot named Hasire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most misused English words   Most misused English words I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Most misused English words
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next